- Belgium has more than 400 different brands of beer – there is no country in the world that has more individual brands!
- Snails and slugs love beer, so if you’re looking to keep them from munching on your garden crops, put some beer in shallow containers at night.
- Germany is the only country that produces more hops in the world than the USA.
- The first professional brewers were women.
- In Norway, the word ‘Hangover’ directly translates to ‘Carpenters in the head’
- Brewers used to stick their thumb into the mix in order to check that the temperature was right, before adding yeast – this is where the phrase ‘rule of thumb’ was born.
- Beer is the third most consumed drink in the world! (only just behind tea and water).
- Cenosilicaphobia is the fear of an empty beer glass – terrifying, right?
- The people in the Czech Republic drink more beer than anyone else in the world – an average of 143 litres per person, per year.
- According to statistics, 0.7% of the word population is drunk right now – an estimated 60 million people. Beer is the biggest contributor!
Do you have any fun facts about beer that you’d like to share? Let us know in the comments section below!
Related 'Food & Drink' Facts