King Solomon is one of the most famous men of the ancient world, but just how much do you know about him today? Let’s take a whistle-stop tour of some of the most amazing facts about him so that you can impress just about anyone with your newfound knowledge.
- King Solomon built Jerusalem’s first temple.
- He was the son of the famous King David.
- And the result of an affair his father had with Bathsheba.
- His wisdom is what the bible chiefly remembers him for.
- King Solomon ruled for just over 40 years.
- This period was so prosperous it was known as the “The Golden Age”.
- King Saul and King David also ruled for 40 years.
- He would become king of all Israel at the tender age of 20.
- He was born in Jerusalem in 990 BC.
- He died just before his 60th birthday.
- The King’s main entry in the bible is The Judgement of Solomon.
- This is where he famously ruled between two mothers claiming to be a child’s mother.
- He suggested they cut the baby in two to highlight the damage their outlook was causing.
- It is estimated that in today’s money he would have a fortune in excess of $2 trillion!
- When he died of natural causes his son, Rehoboam, took the throne and unwittingly became embroiled in a civil war.
Do you know any fun, interesting or strange facts about King Solomon that we’ve not mentioned? Share them here in the comments section below!
Related 'History' Facts