Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 16 fun facts about Dushanbe!
- Dushanbe is the capital city of Tajikistan.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Do-shan-bay.
- The total land area of Dushanbe is 48 square miles (125 square kilometers)…
Flag of Tajikistan
- …that’s slightly smaller than Bristol.
- Dushanbe’s population was 822,000 in 2015…
- …that’s around 200,000 more than Bristol…
- …and gives it a population density of around 17,125 residents per square mile.
- Dushanbe is located 2,316 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Dushanbe are known as Tajikistanis.
- Tajikistanis living in Dushanbe enjoy a Mediterranean climate with hot and dry summers, followed by cool winters and an average annual temperature of 14.7°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Dushanbe? You’ll need the coordinates of 38.5598° N, 68.7870° E.
- Make sure you visit Rudaki Park if you’re in Dushanbe; it’s a beautiful and peaceful park, perfect for taking a gentle stroll and escaping all the hustle and bustle that this great city has to offer!
- The official language of Dushanbe is Tajik.
- The name ‘Dushanbe’ actually translates as ‘Monday’! The city was named Monday because it grew from a village which held a popular market on Mondays!
- Tajikistani Somoni is the official currency here.
- Tajikistan welcomed 208,000 tourists into the country in 2013, many of whom visited Dushanbe for its wonderful climate, thriving culture and beautiful buildings.
Do you know any fun facts about Dushanbe? Share them in the comments below!
This page was last modified on November 15, 2021. Suggest an edit