Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 16 interesting facts about Nicosia!
- Nicosia is the capital city of Cyprus.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Nik-oh-see-ah.
- The total land area of Nicosia is 43 square miles (111 square kilometres)…
Flag of Cyprus
- …that’s roughly the same size as Belfast.
- Nicosia’s population was 251,000 in 2014…
- …that’s around half the population of Belfast…
- …and gives it a population density of around 5,837 residents per square mile.
- Nicosia is located 720 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Nicosia are known as Cypriots.
- Cypriots living in Nicosia enjoy a subtropical hot semi-arid climate with long, hot and dry summers and an average annual temperature of 19.7°C.
- Looking to fly yourself to Nicosia? You’ll need the coordinates of 35.1667° N, 33.3667° E to get there.
- Make sure you visit the local markets if you’re in Nicosia; there are several traditional markets to choose from with a huge array of colors, smells and sounds to nurture your senses.
- The official language of Nicosia is Greek.
- Euro is the official currency here.
- Nicosia has become a popular health tourism destination over the past few years, thanks to the wide range of contemporary services and alternative therapies on offer for a competitive price.
- Cyprus welcomed 2,405,000 tourists into the country in 2013, many of whom visited Nicosia for its incredible architecture and ancient Venetian walls!
Do you know any interesting facts about Nicosia that we’ve missed? Share them here in the comments section below!
This page was last modified on August 28, 2020. Suggest an edit