Thinking of visiting this beautiful city, or just want to know a little more about the capital cities of Europe? Sit back and take a look at these 14 interesting facts about Amsterdam!
1. The Netherlands’ Capital City Is Pretty Famous
Amsterdam is the capital city of Netherlands.
2. However, It Takes A Bit Of Practice To Pronounce Its Name
Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Am-stir-dam.
3. Interestingly, Amsterdam Is Twice The Size Of Bristol
The total land area of Amsterdam is 85 square miles (220 square kilometres)…
…that’s twice the size of Bristol.
4. It Also Has Twice The Population
Amsterdam’s population was 839,000 in 2016…
…that’s also roughly twice the population of Bristol…
…and gives it a population density of around 9,871 residents per square mile.
5. It’s A City Below The Sea
Amsterdam is located 7 ft. below sea level (yes, you read that right – it’s actually below sea level).
6. Three Letters Stand Between Amsterdam And Its Residents
Residents of Amsterdam are known as Amsterdammers.
7. If You Enjoy Mild Weather, Amsterdam Is The Place To Be
Amsterdammers enjoy an oceanic climate with mild weather throughout both summer and winter and an average annual temperature of 10.2°C.
8. It’s Easy Enough To Fly To Amsterdam
Looking to fly yourself to Amsterdam? You’ll need the coordinates of 52.3702° N, 4.8952° E.
9. A Once In A Lifetime Experience In Amsterdam
Make sure you take a canal boat tour if you’re in Amsterdam; beautiful during both night and day, the 60-or-so miles of canals (some of which are UNESCO protected) are the hub of Amsterdam and a truly unmissable experience.
10. A Dutch Dictionary May Come In Handy
The official language of Amsterdam is Dutch.
11. In Amsterdam Even The Canals Have Bicycles
Did you know that allegedly 25,000 bicycles end up in the Amsterdam canal system each year?!
12. Amsterdam Uses The Main European Currency
Euro is the official currency here.
13. There Are Plenty Bars And Cafes To Choose From In Amsterdam
Fancy a refreshing beverage? Apparently there are more than 1,500 bars and cafes in Amsterdam! That’s a long pub crawl…
14. Tourists LOVE Amsterdam
Netherlands welcomed 13,925,000 tourists into the country in 2014, many of whom visited Amsterdam for its laid-back cafe culture and vibrant nightlife.
Do you know any fun facts about Amsterdam? Share them in the comments below!