- Moldova is a small, landlocked country in Eastern Europe.
- It is bordered by Ukraine to the north, east and south and Romania to the west.
- Fancy an adventure? The coordinates for this beautiful country are 47.0000° N, 28.9167°
- The terrain here is mostly rolling steppe (large, flat, grassland) with a gradual southern slope.
- The total land area of Moldova is only 13,050 square miles (33,800 square kilometres).
Flag of Moldova
- Moldova’s population was 3.546 million in 2018…
- … this means it’s less than half as densely populated as the UK!
- The capital is Chișinău; it which covers an area of 47.5 square miles (123 square kilometres) and had a population of 669,694 in 2012.
- The average life span here is 75.31 years (2017).
- Moldovans enjoy a moderate continental climate with moderate winters and warm summers.
- Moldova boasts the largest wine collection in the world with more than 1.5 million bottles in a 34 mile underground cellar at the Milestii Mici winery!
- Wine has been produced in this country for millennia, with evidence dating back at least 4,000 years!
- Despite formerly being a part of the Soviet Union, the official language of Moldova is Moldovan, which is actually based upon the Romanian language.
- Moldovan Leu is the official currency. Take lots of spending money if you’re heading here; there’s lots of wine to buy!
- Moldova grows vegetables, fruits and grains, rears cattle and produces wine.
- Its industry consists of agricultural machinery, food processing, foundry equipment and refrigerators.
- Moldova also exports wine, textiles, foodstuffs and machinery.
- Want to call your friends in Moldova? You’ll need to use the international dialling code +373.
Do you have any interesting facts about Moldova you could share here? Let us know them in the comments section below!
This page was last modified on December 11, 2020. Suggest an edit