- Moldova is a small, landlocked country in Eastern Europe.
- It is bordered by Ukraine to the north, east and south and Romania to the west.
- Fancy an adventure? The coordinates for this beautiful country are 47.0000° N, 28.9167°
- The terrain here is mostly rolling steppe (large, flat, grassland) with a gradual southern slope.
- The total land area of Moldova is only 13,050 square miles (33,800 square kilometres).
Flag of Moldova
- Moldova’s population was 3.546 million in 2018…
- … this means it’s less than half as densely populated as the UK!
- The capital is Chișinău; it which covers an area of 47.5 square miles (123 square kilometres) and had a population of 669,694 in 2012.
- The average life span here is 75.31 years (2017).
- Moldovans enjoy a moderate continental climate with moderate winters and warm summers.
- Moldova boasts the largest wine collection in the world with more than 1.5 million bottles in a 34 mile underground cellar at the Milestii Mici winery!
- Wine has been produced in this country for millennia, with evidence dating back at least 4,000 years!
- Despite formerly being a part of the Soviet Union, the official language of Moldova is Moldovan, which is actually based upon the Romanian language.
- Moldovan Leu is the official currency. Take lots of spending money if you’re heading here; there’s lots of wine to buy!
- Moldova grows vegetables, fruits and grains, rears cattle and produces wine.
- Its industry consists of agricultural machinery, food processing, foundry equipment and refrigerators.
- Moldova also exports wine, textiles, foodstuffs and machinery.
- Want to call your friends in Moldova? You’ll need to use the international dialling code +373.
Do you have any interesting facts about Moldova you could share here? Let us know them in the comments section below!