Want to find out a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 14 interesting facts about Ottawa!
1. The ACTUAL Canadian Capital
Ottawa is the capital city of Canada.
2. Ottawa Has An Interesting Pronunciation
Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Ott-uh-wah.
3. Ottawa Is Bigger Than Greater London
The total land area of Ottawa is 2,207 square miles (5,716 square kilometres)…that’s more than 3.5 times the size of Greater London!
4. However, Ottawa Is Less Populated
Ottawa’s population was 1,326,000 in 2015…that’s less than 1/7 of the population of Greater London…
…and gives it a population density of around 601 residents per square mile.
5. Ottawa Looks Down On…The Sea
Ottawa is located 230 ft. above sea level.
6. Looking Forward To Meet Ottawa’s Residents?
Residents of Ottawa are known as Ottawans.
7. Ottawa Offers All The Benefits Of A Continental Climate
Ottawans enjoy a humid continental climate with warm summers, cold snowy winters and an average annual temperature of just 6.4°C.
8. Fly To Ottawa, By Following Simple Coordinates
Looking to fly yourself to Ottawa? You’ll need the coordinates of 45.4215° N, 75.6972° W.
9. Ottawa Is Home To A UNESCO World Heritage Site
Make sure you visit the Rideau Canal if you’re in Ottawa; this beautiful canal is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is teaming with boats meandering up and down during spring, summer and autumn, before becoming the world’s largest naturally frozen ice skating rink each winter!
10. Ottawa Has Two Official Languages
The official languages of Ottawa are English and French.
11. Ottawa Is The Largest Bilingual City In Canada
In fact, Ottawa is the largest city in Canada to have co-official languages!
12. Quarter Ottawans Are Outsiders
Did you know that around 25% of residents in Ottawa were born outside of Canada?
13. Save Some Canadian Dollars…They’ll Come In Handy In Ottawa
Canadian Dollar is the official currency here.
14. Ottawa Attracts Tourists With Its Wide Range Of Events
Canada welcomed 16,537,000 tourists into the country in 2014, many of whom visited Ottawa for its delicious local food, beautiful architecture and extensive range of activities on offer.
Do you know any fun facts about Ottawa? Share them in the comments below!