Want to find out a little more about the capital cities of the world and increase your chances of winning the next geography quiz? Take a look at these 14 fun facts about Ottawa!
1. The ACTUAL Canadian capital
Ottawa is the capital city of Canada.
2. Ottawa has an interesting pronunciation
Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Ott-uh-wah.
3. Ottawa is massive
The total land area of Ottawa is 2,207 square miles (5,716 square kilometers)…that’s more than 3.5 times the size of Greater London!
4. However, Ottawa is less populated
Ottawa’s population was 1,326,000 in 2015…that’s less than 1/7 of the population of Greater London…
…and gives it a population density of around 601 residents per square mile.
5. Ottawa looks down on… the sea
Ottawa is located 230 ft. above sea level.
6. Looking forward to meeting the residents?
Residents of Ottawa are known as Ottawans.
7. Ottawa offers all the benefits of a continental climate
Ottawans enjoy a humid continental climate with warm summers, cold snowy winters, and an average annual temperature of just 6.4°C.
8. Fly to Ottawa, by following these coordinates
Looking to fly yourself to Ottawa? You’ll need the coordinates of 45.4215° N, 75.6972° W.
9. Ottawa is home to a UNESCO World Heritage Site
Make sure you visit the Rideau Canal if you’re in Ottawa; this beautiful canal is a UNESCO World Heritage Site and is teeming with boats meandering up and down during spring, summer and autumn, before becoming the world’s largest naturally frozen ice skating rink each winter!
10. Ottawa has two official languages
The official languages of Ottawa are English and French.
11. Ottawa is the largest bilingual city in Canada
In fact, Ottawa is the largest city in Canada to have co-official languages!
12. A quarter of Ottawans are outsiders
Did you know that around 25% of residents in Ottawa were born outside of Canada?
13. Save some Canadian dollars…They’ll come in handy here
Of course, the Canadian Dollar is the official currency here.
14. Ottawa attracts tourists with its wide range of events
Canada welcomed 16,537,000 tourists into the country in 2014, many of whom visited Ottawa for its delicious local food, beautiful architecture and extensive range of activities on offer.
FAQs about Ottawa
Is Ottawa a boring city?
Not at all! It’s had that reputation with some people for a few years, however, it has started growing into a more vibrant metropolis as time has gone by.
Is Ottawa colder than Toronto?
Yes, but only just - you’re still likely going to need to wrap up if you visit.
Is it expensive to live in Ottawa?
It can be - you could end up paying at least $700 per month to rent property in the city.
Do you know any fun facts about Ottawa? Share them in the comments below!
Are you fascinated with Canada and looking to find out more? Check out these interesting facts about Quebec.