1. Andorra has more than mountains as neighbours.
2. Andorra is winter sports heaven.
The terrain here is made up of rugged mountains, separated by narrow valleys. Perfect for winter skiing!
3. Andorra is absolutely tiny!
The total land area of Andorra is 180.7 square miles (468 square kilometres). This makes Andorra the 16th smallest nation in the world!
4. Want to call Andorra?
The international dialling code for Andorra is +376.
5. The population of Andorra is just as tiny!
Andorra’s population was 77,142 in 2019. The capital is Andorra la Vella which covers an area of 11.6 square miles (30 square kilometres) and has a population of 22,256 (2011).
6. You’ll live for years and years here.
The average life span here is 81.2 active years (2016).
7. Andorra’s temperatures may vary.
The climate in Andorra is temperate, with warm dry summers and cold and snowy winters. It also experiences 300 days of sunshine on average each year, so don’t forget your ski boots and sunglasses!
8. Andorra has interesting gun laws.
Did you know, the male head of the family in Andorra is required by law to own a gun in case of attack or emergency?
9. You can’t reach Andorra by plane.
There are no airports in Andorra, it can only be reached by road through France or Spain.
10. Andorra has a unique ‘official’ language.
The official language of Andorra is Catalan. Although Catalan is spoken in Spain, France and Sardinia, Andorra is the only country in the world to recognise it as its official language.
11. Andorra uses EU currency – but there’s a twist.
Despite not actually being part of the European Union, Euro is the official currency here – perfect, as most of us have got a couple of those lying around!
12. Andorra exports more than you might think!
Andorra also exports furniture and tobacco products.
Do you know any fun facts about Andorra? Share them in the comments below!