Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 17 fun facts about Yerevan!
- Yerevan is the capital city of Armenia.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Yer-eh-vann.
- The total land area of Yerevan is 86 square miles (223 square kilometres)…
Flag of Armenia
- …that’s slightly smaller than Edinburgh.
- Yerevan’s population was 1,075,000 in 2016…
- …that’s roughly double the population of Edinburgh…
- …and gives it a population density of around 12,400 residents per square mile.
- Yerevan is located 3,246 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Yerevan are known as Yerevantsis, or Armenians.
- Yerevantsis enjoy a semi-arid climate with long, hot summers, followed by short and cold winters, a high temperature range and an average annual temperature of 12.4°C.
- Did you know that Yerevan is known as the ‘pink city’? This is due to the wonderful natural color of the historic buildings which were made from naturally colored volcanic rock!
- Looking to fly yourself to Yerevan? You’ll need the coordinates of 40.1792° N, 44.4991° E.
- Make sure you visit the Matenadaran if you’re in Yerevan; it’s a museum of ancient manuscripts where you can discover the vast rich history that surrounds Yerevan and Armenia.
- Yerevan is far from a new city – it was actually founded back in 782 BC!
- The official language of Yerevan is Armenian.
- Armenian Dram is the official currency here.
- Armenia welcomed 1,204,000 tourists into the country in 2014, many of whom visited Yerevan for its wonderful mix of tradition and modern prosperity which is evident in every area of life.
Do you know any fun facts about Yerevan? Share them in the comments below!
This page was last modified on October 20, 2021. Suggest an edit