- Mauritius is a tropical island nation located in the Indian Ocean, roughly 2,000 kilometres off the southeast coast of the African continent, just off the east coast of Madagascar.
- The coordinates for Mauritius are 20.2000° S, 57.5000°
- In 2018 Mauritius was home to 1.265 million lucky people!
Flag of Mauritius
- Mauritius has a total area of 787.65 square miles (2040 square kilometres).
- The Mauritian coastline is roughly 205 miles (330 kilometres) long and is surrounded by beautiful coral reefs and gorgeous white beaches… paradise!
- Port Louis is the capital of this beautiful island which has an area of 18 miles square (46.7 kilometres) and a population of 148,147 (2017).
- Mauritius was the exclusive home of the Dodo before it became extinct in the mid 1600’s! In fact, the Dodo was what inspired Lewis Carroll to write Alice in Wonderland!
- The life expectancy here is 74.51 years (2017).
- If you’d like to take some spending money with you to Mauritius, be sure to get it changed into Mauritian Rupees!
- Mauritius isn’t home to any wild animals and even the snakes aren’t poisonous, meaning you can trek across this beautiful island without fear!
- Even the shoreline is protected from sharks and jellyfish thanks to the coral reef that surrounds the island, meaning you can paddle in peace!
- The official language of Mauritius is English, although people speak French as a means of general communication.
- Agriculturally, Mauritius produces sugarcane, rum, tea, corn, potatoes, bananas, cattle and fish…
- …They also process food here (mostly milling sugar) and create textiles, clothing, chemicals and metal products…
- Their main exports include sugar, rum, clothing, textiles, cut flowers and molasses.
Sir Seewoosagur Ramgoolam International Airport, Port Louis, Mauritius
- Mauritius is the most densely populated and richest nation in Africa.
- Apparently, if you wish to give someone a gift here, it is polite to do so with your right hand only… you have been warned!
- Want to call your friends or family in Mauritius? You’ll need to use the international dialling code +230.
Do you have any interesting or fun facts about Mauritius that we’ve not covered? Share them with us in the comments section below!