Increase your chances of being crowned the next pub quiz team winners by learning these 19 super interesting facts about Guernsey!
- Guernsey is located in the English Channel, just off the coast of Normandy, France.
- Due to being an island it does not have any bordering countries, however its nearest neighbours are England to the North, France to the East and South and Jersey to the South East.
- The coordinates for Guernsey are 49.4500° N, 2.5500°
Flag of Guernsey
- The total area of Guernsey is 30 square miles (78 square kilometres).
- Guernsey’s population was 67,052 in 2020.
- The capital is St Peter Port which has an area of 2.5 square miles (6.5 square kilometres) and a population of 18,207 (2014).
- Neither a part of the United Kingdom nor the European Union, Guernsey is actually a British Crown Dependancy.
- Guernsey has its own parliament called ‘The States of Deliberation’ through which local taxes, laws and legislation are passed.
- Guernsey wasn’t always an island; due to rising sea levels it separated from France around 6000 BC.
- The musical ‘Les Misérables’ was written by Victor Hugo whilst living in Guernsey!
- The average life span here is an amazing 82.9 years, ranking it 9th highest in the world! (2016).
- The official languages of Guernsey are both English and Guernésiais, Guernsey’s own regional variation of French.
- Guernsey Pound is the official currency of Guernsey, however the British Pound is also accepted.
- The terrain here is mostly flat with a few low hills in the south west, perfect for walking and exploring its luscious green fields and beautiful coastline! Bliss.
- Guernsey Gâche is a traditional bread specific to Guernsey, made with raisins, sultanas and mixed peel and served with local butter. Sounds yummy!
La Forêt, Guernsey
- Guernsey is famous for its dairy produce, including milk, butter, cheese and ice cream. They also grow fruits, vegetables and flowers.
- Its industry consists of tourism, banking, manufacturing and service based companies…
- Guernsey also exports dairy products, fruit and vegetables and meat products.
- To call your friends in Guernsey, you’ll need to use the international dialling code +44 1481.
Do you have any interesting facts about Guernsey you’d like to share here? Let us know in the comments section below!
Related 'British Overseas Territory' Facts