- Botswana is a landlocked country in Southern Africa; it borders Zimbabwe, South Africa, Namibia and Zambia.
- The currency is called the Botswana ‘Pula’.
- It is one of Africa’s most stable countries.
Flag of Botswana
- English is the official language but Setswana is also a major language here.
- In 2018 the population of Botswana is reported as 2.254 million.
- The country is sparsely populated because it is simply so dry.
- Gaborone is the capital of Botswana; over 10% of the population live here.
- Life expectancy is relatively low here – an average of 68.81 years (2017).
- Botswana’s export market consists of diamonds, copper, nickel and beef.
- Because the country is so dry, the ground is too arid to support anything agricultural apart from cattle.
- As a highly successful producer of diamonds (the world’s biggest diamond producer, that is!), this country is now a middle-income nation.
- Botswana protects some of Africa’s largest areas of wilderness; nearly 40% of the land here is national parks and wildlife reserves.
- Botswana is home to endangered specials such as cheetahs, brown hyenas (Piri), Kori bustards, and Pel’s fishing owls.
- Other animals include the rhino, bushbaby, giraffe (Thutlwa), baboon (Tshwene), hippo (Kubu), leopard (Nkwe), lion (Tau) and elephant (Tlou)… to name just a few!
- Such wildlife supports a popular safari-based tourism industry which is another important source of income.
- Botswana is home to the Kalahari Desert; a diminishing number of bushman hunter-gatherers live here.
- Incredibly, state-run TV only arrived in 2000, with the launch of Botswana Television!
- In December 2011, there were around 167,000 internet users – thats only about 7% of the population.
- The national dish of Botswana is called ‘Seswaa’. It’s a stew of boiled meat, maize meal and greens. Sounds yummy.
- Want to call your friends in Botswana? You’ll need use the international dialling code which is +267.
Do you know any interesting or fun facts about Botswana that we’ve missed? Share them here in the comments section below!