Were you born in this beautiful country or planning a trip of a lifetime here? Take a look at these 19 fun facts about New Caledonia to test your local knowledge!
- New Caledonia is a French archipelago in the South Pacific Ocean.
- Its nearest neighbors are Solomon Islands to the northwest, Vanuatu to the north, Wallis and Futuna, Fiji and Tonga to the east, New Zealand to the south and Australia to the west.
- The stunning sandy beaches and crystal clear waters of New Caledonia are pretty amazing; to find yourself here, follow the coordinates 21.2500° S, 165.3000° E for your very own New Caledonian adventure!
- The terrain here is dominated by stunning coastal plains with mountains further inland.
- The total land area of New Caledonia is 7,172 square miles (18,575 square kilometers)…
- …that’s slightly smaller than Wales.
- New Caledonia’s population was 271,960 in 2020…
- …that’s less than 1/10th of the Welsh population!
- Residents here are known as New Caledonians.
- The capital is Nouméa; it covers an area of 17.6 square miles (45.7 square kilometers) and had a population of 181,000 in 2014.
- New Caledonians enjoy a tropical climate with hot and humid summers, followed by a rainy season from December to February.
- There are 22 species of bird endemic to New Caledonia, including the New Caledonian Crow which is known for making its own tools!
- New Caledonia boasts the second longest double barrier reef in the world, with a length of more than 900 miles!
- The official language of New Caledonia is French, although there are 33 local dialects also spoken here!
- Before you set sail for New Caledonia you’ll want to pack a few CFP Francs, the official currency here.
- The average life span of New Caledonians is 77.63 years (2019).
- This tropical country grows yams, cassava and sweet potato; they also rear cattle and catch fish.
- Its industry consists of tourism, nickel mining and smelting.
- New Caledonia exports ferro-nickels, nickel ore and fish.
FAQs about New Caledonia
Do you know any fun facts about New Caledonia? Share them in the comments below!
Previous post 🇧🇦 22 Brilliant Facts about Bosnia and Herzegovina
Next post 🇩🇲 19 Diverse Facts about Dominica