- Liberia is a country slightly smaller than England, located in West Africa.
- Did you know that ‘Liberia’ is actually Latin and translates to ‘Land of the Free’?
- It shares a border with Guinea to the north, Ivory Coast to the east and Sierra Leone to the west. It also has a coastline along the North Atlantic Ocean to the south.
- Want to call your friends in Liberia? You’ll need to use the international dialling code +231.
- This hot country has an area of 43,000 square miles (111,370 square kilometers).
- Liberia’s population was 5.058 million in 2020.
- The population here is made up of around 16 different ethnic groups and tribes!
- The capital city is Monrovia; it covers an area of 13.7 square miles (35.5 square kilometers) and has a population of 37,061 (2017).
- The terrain here is mostly flat to rolling plains, with low mountains in the northeast.
- If you’re planning on a sailing trip to the warm and sandy shores of Liberia, you’ll need the coordinates, which are 6.3167° N, 10.8000°
- Liberia enjoys a tropical climate, with hot, humid and dry winters, followed by wet and cloudy summers.
- The average life expectancy here is 64.1 years (2019).
- The official currency of Liberia is the Liberian Dollar.
- Liberia was founded and colonised by freed American slaves, who named the capital city after US President James Monroe!
- Boasting the second largest tropical rainforest in West Africa, Liberia is home to the rare and endangered (and extremely cute) Pygmy Hippopotamus!
- It is also home to around 700 species of bird!
- Surprisingly, English is the official language of Liberia, although around 20 ethnic languages are also spoken here.
- Liberia grows coffee, rubber, rice and cacao, rears sheep, and produces timber.
- The country’s industry consists of rubber processing, palm oil processing, diamonds and timber.
- Liberia exports rubber, timber, diamonds, iron and cacao.
Do you know any fun facts about Liberia? Share them in the comments below!
Previous post 🇨🇩 21 Diverse Facts about Democratic Republic of Congo
Next post 🇰🇲 17 Cracking Facts about Comoros