1. Where are the Azores?
The Azores is an archipelago and overseas territory of Portugal, in the Mid-Atlantic Ocean.
2. Grab the compass!
Fancy exploring the stunning coastline and beautiful mountains of Azores? Head for the coordinates of 37.7411° N, 25.6756° W!
3. It’s full of peaks!
The terrain of the 9 volcanic islands is hilly and mountainous.
4. The area is pretty big, on the whole.
The total land area of the Azores is 906 square miles (2,346 square kilometers)…that’s around 4 times the size of the Isle of Man.
5. There’s plenty of people who call the archipelago home, too!
Azores’s population was 242,796 in 2019…that’s almost 3 times the population of the Isle of Man.
6. What’s the capital of the Azores?
Azores actually boasts three capitals, which are Angra do Heroísmo, Horta and Ponta Delgada; they have a population of 35,402 (2011), 14,944 (2011) and 68,809 (2011) respectively.
7. The weather’s lovely!
Azoreans enjoy a mild temperate climate with little temperature variation – sounds lovely!
8. Humans brought animals to the islands.
9. Look beyond the land for more critters!
10. What do people speak here?
The official language of Azores is Portuguese.
11. We moved in pretty quick.
Azores was first discovered in 1427 and settled from 1432!
12. Save those European pennies…
Euro is the official currency here.
13. It’s great for watersports.
14. Life expectancy here is impressive!
The average Azorean life span is 77.45 years (2017).
15. Here are some local, delectable delights.
16. The industry and exports here are impressive.
Its industry consists of tourism, food processing, lumber and electricity.
FAQs about The Azores
Is it safe to visit the Azores?
On the whole, the Azores are safe to visit - however, as always, keep your personal belongings safe!
Is it expensive to visit the Azores?
On the whole, you’ll likely expect to pay more to visit the Azores than Portugal itself. However, it’s still possible to enjoy the region for under $100 per day!
Can you swim in the Azores?
Yes, there are plenty of lovely spots to swim in around the islands - there are rock pools, beaches and more!
Do you know any fun facts about the Azores? Share them in the comments below!