Whether you hail from this stunning country or you’re thinking about visiting Bruges, brush up on your local knowledge with these interesting facts about Belgium.
1. Belgium has many borders – and a coastline, too!
Belgium is a small country in Western Europe. It shares a border with Netherlands to the north, Germany to the east, Luxembourg to the southeast, and France to the south and west. It also has a coastline along the North Sea to the northwest.
2. Belgium is likely larger than you think.
Belgium has an area of 11,787 square miles (30,528 square kilometres).
3. It’s easy to call Belgium.
Want to call family or friends in Belgium? You’ll need to use the international dialling code +32.
4. Belgium is bustling!
Belgium’s population was 11.46 million in 2019.
5. What’s the capital of Belgium?
The capital city is Brussels; it covers an area of 62.3 square miles (161.4 square kilometres) and has a population of 1.192 million (2017).
6. Belgium has a gentle landscape.
The terrain here is mostly flat coastal plains in the northwest, with central rolling hills and the beautiful hills and mountains in the Ardennes Forest in the southeast.
7. Where is Belgium on the map?
The coordinates for Belgium are 50.8500° N, 4.3500°.
8. You can see Belgium from space!
Because Belgium’s motorway network is very well lit, it is apparently visible from the Moon at night!
9. If you’re a Brit, you’ll feel at home here.
Belgium enjoys a temperate climate with mild winters and cool summers – very similar to the UK!
10. Belgium is the chocolate capital of Europe.
Well known for its silky smooth chocolate, Belgium produces around 220,000 tonnes of the delicious treat each year! Yum! In fact, chocolate production started in Belgium in 1635!
11. Fine dining in Belgium is a must!
Food lovers will also be pleased to hear that Belgium has a greater density of Michelin starred restaurants than any other country in Europe!
12. Belgium is well-known for its castles and forts.
Romanticists and historians alike will be pleased to know that there are more castles in Belgium per square kilometre than anywhere else in the world! Amazing!
13. Making your mind up!
Voting is actually compulsory in Belgium and this law is enforced!
14. Belgium is also well-known for its beer.
If you’re a fan of a good pint of beer you’ll be spoilt for choice in Belgium – this small country boasts more than 800 different beers!
15. Belgians live long and happy lives.
The average life expectancy here is a healthy 81.6 years (2018).
16. What’s the official currency of Belgium?
With Brussels hosting the headquarters of the EU, it’s unsurprising that the official currency of Belgium is the Euro.
17. Belgium is multi-lingual.
Due to its small size, Belgium has adopted the languages of its neighbours. Dependant on the region you’re in, you’ll find people speaking in French, German or Dutch, all of which are official languages.
18. Belgium grows all kinds of crops.
19. The country has a diverse industry, too!
The country’s industry consists of chemicals, processed food and beverages, engineering, metal products and motor vehicle assembly.
Belgium exports chemicals, diamonds, machinery and equipment, metals and metal products.
Do you know any fun facts about Belgium that? Share them in the comments below!