1. Bahrain is technically an island group.
Consisting of 33 islands, Bahrain is an archipelago in the Persian Gulf.
2. It has plenty of neighbors.
3. Grab yourself a compass.
Want to fly yourself to Bahrain? The coordinates of 26.0275° N, 50.5500° E will get you there!
4. It’s mostly flat desert here.
The terrain here is mostly low lying desert plain, rising gently to low central escarpment.
5. It’s smaller than you think.
The total land area of Bahrain is just 277 square miles (717 square kilometers)…that’s around one fifth of the size of Cornwall!
6. It’s really packed!
Bahrain’s population was 1.702 million in 2020…almost triple the population of Cornwall, making it a very densely populated country!
7. The water’s wild!
8. What is the capital of Bahrain?
The capital is Manama; it covers an area of 11.6 square miles (30 square kilometers) and had a population of 411,000 in 2015.
9. The climate really varies.
Bahrainis enjoy an arid climate with mild winters and very hot, humid summers where the temperature can reach nearly 50°C!
10. There’s unique building design out here.
The Bahrain World Trade Centre is the world’s first skyscraper to include wind turbines in its design!
11. It’s a multi-lingual country.
The official language of Bahrain is Arabic, although English, Farsi and Urdu are also spoken here.
12. Time to head to the exchange!
If you’re visiting friends or family here, you’ll need to exchange your money into Bahraini Dinar; the official currency here.
13. The Tree of Life is a massive draw.
14. You’ll live long and happy here.
The average life span here is 77.29 years (2019).
15. There are weirder records!
16. Ever been to a night race?
17. Here are some interesting facts about produce and industry in Bahrain.
Its industry consists of petroleum processing and refining, aluminum smelting, offshore banking, tourism and ship repairing.
Bahrain also exports petroleum and petroleum products, aluminum and textiles.
FAQs about Bahrain
Is it a crime to live unmarried in Bahrain?
It is against the law to live together as a couple while unmarried in Bahrain.
Is alcohol legal in Bahrain?
Yes, it is legal to buy alcohol in Bahrain, and the country has some of the most relaxed alcohol rules in the region.
Is crime low in Bahrain?
Bahrain’s crime levels are relatively low. However, that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t be on your guard - always keep an eye on your possessions!
Do you know any fun facts about Bahrain? Share them in the comments below!