Looking to boost your knowledge of the Middle East and improve your chances of winning the next pub quiz? Check out these 22 interesting facts about Bahrain!
- Consisting of 33 islands, Bahrain is an archipelago in the Persian Gulf.
- Its nearest neighbours are Kuwait and Iraq to the northwest, Iran to the north, UAE and Qatar to the south east and Saudi Arabia to the south and west.
- Want to fly yourself to Bahrain? The coordinates of 26.0275° N, 50.5500° E will get you there!
- The terrain here is mostly low lying desert plain, rising gently to low central escarpment.
- The total land area of Bahrain is just 277 square miles (717 square kilometres)…
- …that’s around one fifth of the size of Cornwall!
- Bahrain’s population was 1.6 million in 2019…
- …almost triple the population of Cornwall, making it a very densely populated country!
- Residents here are known as ‘Bahrainis’.
- Not only are there fresh water wells in Bahrain, but it has also been known for fresh water to bubble up in the middle of the salt water!
- The capital is Manama; it covers an area of 11.6 square miles (30 square kilometres) and had a population of 411,000 in 2015.
- Bahrainis enjoy an arid climate with mild winters and very hot, humid summers where the temperature can reach nearly 50°C!
- The Bahrain World Trade Centre is the world’s first skyscraper to include wind turbines in its design!
- The official language of Bahrain is Arabic, although English, Farsi and Urdu are also spoken here.
- If you’re visiting friends or family here, you’ll need to exchange your money into Bahraini Dinar; the official currency here.
- One of many tourism hotspots in Bahrain is the ‘Tree of life’, a 400 year old tree that grows in the desert with no apparent water source or other local vegetation – amazing!
- The average life span here is 74 years.
- In 2006, Bahrain entered the Guinness Book of Records for the largest Mortar Board at an incredible 6x6m!
- Bahrain has hosted a Formula One Grand Prix 15 times. In 2014 it was held at night under floodlights for the first time!
- Bahrain grows fruit and vegetables, rears poultry and catches shrimp.
- Its industry consists of petroleum processing and refining, aluminium smelting, offshore banking, tourism and ship repairing.
- Bahrain also exports petroleum and petroleum products, aluminium and textiles.
Do you know any interesting facts about Bahrain? Share them in the comments below!