- Located on the continent of Asia, Lebanon is bordered by Syria to the north and east and Israel to the south.
- Its official name is the Lebanese Republic.
- The population of Lebanon was 6.849 million in 2018 and according to the CIA World Factbook it was the fastest growing population in the world in 2013.
- Lebanon has a total area of 4,036 square miles (10,452 square kilometres).
- It’s the only Arabian/Asian country that doesn’t have a desert.
- Lebanon’s capital is Beirut; Its Lebanon’s largest city and spans an area of 7.7 square miles (20 square kilometres) and has a population of 2.2 million (2019).
- The average life span here is 78.83 years (2018).
- Arabic is the official language but French, German, English and Armenian is also spoken here.
- The coordinates for Lebanon are 33.9000° N, 35.5333°
- Want to call friends or family here? You’ll need to use the international dialling code +961.
- You’ll need to change your cash into Lebanese pounds if you want to take spending money.
- Agriculturally, Lebanon produces apples, grapes, citrus fruits, tomatoes, vegetables, potatoes, olives, tobacco, sheep and goats.
- This country has industries in tourism, banking, food processing, jewellery, textiles, mineral and chemical products, cement, oil refining, metal fabricating, and wood and furniture products.
- It has more than 100 different banks (not just branches, individual banks!)
- Independence Day, November 22nd, is recognised as a National holiday.
- Lebanon has a list of 40 daily newspapers, an incredible amount considering the UK (which is more than 20 times the size) has 68! (2015).
- It also has 42 universities!
- Tony Fadel, originally Lebanese, created and was the production manager for Apple’s iPod.
- Lebanon has a doctor to patient ratio of 1:10; to put that into perspective, it’s 1:100 in Europe and America. The UK falls further behind and has one of the poorest ratios, with just 2.8 doctors per 1,000 patients!
Ancient Lebanese Facts
- Byblos is considered one of the oldest continuously occupied cities in the world – people have been living there since 5,000BC!
- In fact, the first alphabet was created in Byblos!
- Lebanon is the oldest country name in the world, remaining unchanged for in excess of 4,000 years!
- If you’re a lover of outdoor pursuits the best time to visit Lebanon is in the spring because you could be skiing in the mountains in the morning and taking a dip in the sea in the afternoon – brilliant!
Lebanese Food facts
- The national dish of Lebanon is kibbeh (or kibbe). It’s a ground lamb and cracked wheat paste dish, quite similar to pate.
Do you know any fun or interesting facts about Lebanon we’ve not mentioned? Let us know in the comments section below!
What does Lebanon export?
Lebanese industries export jewellery, chemicals, fruits, tobacco, textiles and paper.
Is Lebanon an independent country?
Lebanon gained independent from France in 1943. However, since independence, Lebanon has had many periods of political turmoil.