- Kazakhstan is a vast landlocked country in central Asia, with part of its river Ural running into Europe.
- It shares a border with Russia to the west and north, China to the east, Kyrgyzstan to the south-west, Uzbekistan to the south and Turkmenistan to the south-east.
- Kazakhstan has an area of 1,049,155 square miles (2,717,300 square kilometres).
- This makes it the largest landlocked country in the world!
- Despite being landlocked, Kazakhstan actually has a naval force! It operates from the Caspian Sea.
Flag of Kazakhstan
- In case you choose to fly yourself here, the coordinates are 48.0000° N, 68.0000
- Kazakhstan’s population was 18.28 million in 2018.
- The capital city is called Astana; it covers an area of 279 square miles (722 square kilometres) and has a population of 835,153 (2014).
- ‘Astana’ actually means ‘Capital city’ in Kazakh!
- The terrain here is a contrast of flat low lands to incredible mountains and arid desert.
Charyn Canyon, Kazakhstan
- Medeo is the world’s highest mountain ice skating rink, where an incredible 170 world records have been set!
- Kazakhstan enjoys a continental climate with hot summers and cold winters.
- The average life expectancy here is 72.95 years (2017).
- The first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1, was sent into space from Kazakhstan, as was Yuri Gagarin, the first man into space!
- Apparently, Kazakhstan is where horses were first tamed and ridden! Who knew?!
- It is also alleged to be where apples originate from. We love our apple crumble here, so thanks Kazakhstan!
- Should you wish to visit this spectacular country, make sure you pack your wallet full of Kazakhstani Tenge, the national currency.
- Kazakhstan has two official languages, Kazakh and Russian.
- Kazakhs grow wheat and cotton and rear livestock here.
- The country’s industry consists of coal, oil, iron ore, manganese, lead, zinc, chromite, copper and titanium.
- Kazakhstan exports oil and oil products, chemicals, ferrous metals, machinery and grain.
- To make a call here you’ll need to use the international dialling code which is +7.
Do you have any fun or interesting facts about Kazakhstan you’d like to share here? Let us know in the comments section below!