- Kazakhstan is a vast landlocked country in central Asia, with part of its river Ural running into Europe.
- It shares a border with Russia to the west and north, China to the east, Kyrgyzstan to the south-west, Uzbekistan to the south and Turkmenistan to the south-east.
- Kazakhstan has an area of 1,049,155 square miles (2,717,300 square kilometres).
- This makes it the largest landlocked country in the world!
- Despite being landlocked, Kazakhstan actually has a naval force! It operates from the Caspian Sea.
Flag of Kazakhstan
- In case you choose to fly yourself here, the coordinates are 48.0000° N, 68.0000
- Kazakhstan’s population was 18.28 million in 2018.
- The capital city is called Astana; it covers an area of 279 square miles (722 square kilometres) and has a population of 835,153 (2014).
- ‘Astana’ actually means ‘Capital city’ in Kazakh!
- The terrain here is a contrast of flat low lands to incredible mountains and arid desert.
Charyn Canyon, Kazakhstan
- Medeo is the world’s highest mountain ice skating rink, where an incredible 170 world records have been set!
- Kazakhstan enjoys a continental climate with hot summers and cold winters.
- The average life expectancy here is 72.95 years (2017).
- The first artificial satellite, Sputnik 1, was sent into space from Kazakhstan, as was Yuri Gagarin, the first man into space!
- Apparently, Kazakhstan is where horses were first tamed and ridden! Who knew?!
- It is also alleged to be where apples originate from. We love our apple crumble here, so thanks Kazakhstan!
- Should you wish to visit this spectacular country, make sure you pack your wallet full of Kazakhstani Tenge, the national currency.
- Kazakhstan has two official languages, Kazakh and Russian.
- Kazakhs grow wheat and cotton and rear livestock here.
- The country’s industry consists of coal, oil, iron ore, manganese, lead, zinc, chromite, copper and titanium.
- Kazakhstan exports oil and oil products, chemicals, ferrous metals, machinery and grain.
- To make a call here you’ll need to use the international dialling code which is +7.
Do you have any fun or interesting facts about Kazakhstan you’d like to share here? Let us know in the comments section below!
This page was last modified on December 12, 2020. Suggest an edit