Looking to boost your knowledge of the countries of Southeast Asia? Take a look at these 24 interesting facts about Brunei!
- Brunei is a tiny country consisting of two distinct sections on the island of Borneo in Southeast Asia.
- It is bordered solely by Malaysia to the west, east and south. It also has a coastline along the South China Sea to the north.
- To enjoy the stunning sandy beaches or beautiful towns and cities for yourself, head for the coordinates of 4.8903° N, 114.9422° E to explore Brunei.
- The terrain here is largely covered in jungle, with flat coastal plains rising to mountains in the east and hilly lowlands in the west.
- The total land area of Brunei is 2,226 square miles (5,765 square kilometres)…
Flag of Brunei
- …that’s slightly larger than Norfolk.
- Brunei’s population was 428,692 in 2018…
- …that’s around half the population of Norfolk!
- Residents here are known as Bruneians.
- The capital is Bandar Seri Begawan; it covers an area of 39 square miles (100 square kilometres) and had a population of 241,000 in 2011.
- Bruneians enjoy a tropical climate with hot, humid and often rainy weather.
- The official language of Brunei is Malay, although English and Chinese are also spoken here.
- Hassanal Bolkiah, the Sultan of Brunei, reportedly has a collection of more than 5,000 cars!
- The same royal family have ruled Brunei for more than 600 years!
- After almost 100 years of protectorship, Brunei gained independence from Great Britain in 1984.
- Brunei Dollar is the official currency here.
- Apparently it is considered rude to point with your finger in Brunei, instead you must point with your thumb!
- The average life span here is 75.58 years. (2017)
- Citizens of Brunei pay no income tax! Despite this, healthcare and education are free!
- It is illegal to drink alcohol in public in Brunei.
- Brunei grows vegetables, rice and fruits; they also rear chickens.
- Its industry consists of petroleum, petroleum refining, construction and liquified natural gas.
- The main exports consist of natural gas, crude oil and refined products.
- The Sultan of Brunei, Hassanal Bolkiah was valued by Forbes at approximately 20 billion USD in 2008, making him the second-wealthiest royal and world’s wealthiest king.
Do you have any fun, strange or interesting facts about Brunei that we’ve missed? Share them here in the comments section below!
Related 'Asia' Facts