Looking to boost your knowledge of Europe? Why not start here and take a look at these 15 interesting facts about Germany!
1. Germany has lots of borders!
Germany is a large and beautiful country in Western Europe. It is bordered by Denmark to the north, Poland and Czech Republic to the east, Switzerland and Austria to the south, France to the southwest and Belgium, Luxembourg and Netherlands to the west.
2. Germany is never too hard to reach
Want to call friends and family here? The international dialling code for Germany is +49.
To explore the magical forests and enjoy the delicious sausages and local beers, head for the coordinates of 52.5167° N, 13.3833° E.
3. Germany has plenty of geographical ups and downs
The terrain here features lowlands in the north, uplands in the centre and the Bavarian Alps in the south, lovely!
4. Germany outsizes – and out-populates – the UK massively
The total land area of Germany is 137,847 square miles (357,022 square kilometres) – that’s around 1.5 times the size of the UK.
Germany’s population was 83.02 million in 2019 – that’s around 17 million more than the UK! That also makes Germany the most populous country in the EU!
5. Germany has a very famous capital
The capital is Berlin; it covers an area of 344 square miles (892 square kilometres) and had a population of 3.748 million in 2018.
6. Germany’s climate is rather pleasant
Most Germans enjoy a temperate climate with those living on the coast experiencing a marine climate.
7. There’s lots of animals to spot in Germany
Germany has more than 400 zoos – more than any other country in the world!
8. German language and culture is pervasive worldwide!
The official language of Germany is… German of course! Did you know that Hamburgers, Frankfurters and Wieners are all named after Germany cities?
9. Germany is part of the European Union
Like many European countries, Euro is the official currency here.
10. The German registry office decides on baby names!
Thinking of having a baby in Germany? Once you’ve chosen a name you’ll have to submit it to the local registration office and they will decide whether it is allowed or not!
11. German people live long, happy lives.
The average life span here is 80.89 years (2018). However, Germany has the lowest birth rate of any country in the world, with just 8.2 children being born per 1000 citizens between 2009 and 2014.
12. Germany is also famous for its bread!
There are more than 300 different types of bread produced in Germany and there is even a ‘bread culture’ museum!
13. Germany has its own hand gesture language
Ordering another beer? Be careful with your hand gestures – your thumb is counted as 1, so just stick you thumb up if you’d like one more beer!
14. Germany’s not all about beer and sausages
Germany grows potatoes, barley, wheat and sugar beets; they also rear cattle.
15. In fact, Germany’s not all about food, either!
Its industry consists of iron, coal, steel, chemicals, cement, machinery, machine tools, vehicles and electronics.
The main exports include vehicles, machinery, chemicals, metals and manufactures, textiles and foodstuffs.
Do you know any interesting or fun facts about Germany? Share them in the comments below!
Are you fascinated with Germany? Check out more interesting facts about Berlin here!