Looking to boost your chances of winning the next pub quiz? Brush up on your worldly facts knowledge with these interesting facts about Vietnam!
1. Vietnam has famous neighbors.
Vietnam is a beautiful country in southeast Asia. It is bordered by China to the north and Laos and Cambodia to the west.
2. Want to find Vietnam?
To explore the stunning sights, incredible culture and amazing wildlife that Vietnam has to offer, head for the coordinates 21.0333° N, 105.8500° E.
3. Vietnam’s terrain is varied.
The terrain here is low and flat in the south, rising to central highlands and mountains in the far north and northwest.
4. Vietnam is bigger than you think!
The total land area of Vietnam is 127,844 square miles (331,114 square kilometres) – that’s slightly larger than Italy.
5. Vietnam’s population is massive.
Vietnam’s population was 99.46 million in 2019 – that’s more than 1.5 times the population of Italy! Residents here are known as Vietnamese.
6. What’s the capital of Vietnam?
The capital is Hanoi; it covers an area of 1,292 square miles (3,345 square kilometres) and had a population of 3,629,000 in 2015.
7. Vietnam rarely gets cold.
In the south, Vietnamese enjoy a tropical climate, changing to monsoonal in the north with a hot, rainy season from May to September, followed by a warm and dry season from October to March.
8. There’s a world-breaking cave in Vietnam.
Sơn Đoòng Cave in Vietnam is the world’s largest cave and was only discovered in 1991!
9. Vietnam’s coastline is historically important.
The beautiful Ha Long Bay is not only a gem along Vietnam’s coastline, but also happens to be a UNESCO World Heritage Site.
10. Vietnam is wild for nature lovers!
Vietnam boasts 11,217 species of animal, including black bears, indian elephants, honey bears, leopards, tigers, crocodiles, snakes, turtles, monkeys, lizards, rhinoceroses and jackals, to name but a few!
11. Here’s a tough one.
The official language of Vietnam is… (drum roll)… Vietnamese!
12. However, Vietnamese is seriously diverse.
Vietnamese actually features 6 different vocal tones, each of which can directly affect the meaning of each word, making Vietnamese a difficult language to learn!
13. Vietnam is a nation of bike lovers.
There are almost 20 times more motorbikes on the roads of Vietnam than cars.
14. Get exchanging those pennies!
The Vietnamese Dong is the official currency here.
15. There’s a healthy life expectancy in Vietnam.
The average life span here is 75.24 years (2017).
16. Vietnam has ancient entertainment traditions.
Water puppetry is a popular art form in Vietnam which dates back to the 11th century!
17. Vietnam’s food industry is immense.
18. Vietnam produces more than just food
Its industry consists of food processing, shoes, mining, oil, glass, steel, cement, garments and machine building.
The main exports include cashew nuts, marine products, crude oil, electronics, machinery, wooden products, rice, coffee and rubber.
In fact, Vietnam is the world’s largest exporter of cashew nuts!
Do you know any fun facts about Vietnam? Share them in the comments below!