Looking to boost your local knowledge about this fabulous country? Take a look at these 26 interesting facts about the Philippines!
- Philippines is an archipelago of more than 7,100 islands in Southeast Asia.
- Its nearest neighbours are China to the northwest, Taiwan to the north, South Korea and Japan to the northeast, Northern Mariana Islands, Guam and Palau to the east, Papua New Guinea and Indonesia to the south, Malaysia and Singapore to the southwest and Vietnam to the west.
- To dip your toes in the crystal clear waters that lap upon the stunning sandy beaches of the Philippines, head for the coordinates of 13.0000° N, 122.0000°
Flag of the Philippines
- The terrain here is mostly mountainous, contrasted by coastal lowlands that range from narrow to extensive in size.
- The total land area of Philippines is 115,831 square miles (300,000 square kilometres)…
- …that’s around the same size as Italy.
- Philippines’ population was 106.7 million in 2018…
- …that’s almost twice the population of Italy!
- Residents here are known as Filipinos.
Harbour Square, Manila, Philippines
- The capital is Manila; it covers an area of 15 square miles (39 square kilometres) and had a population of 13,923,452 in 2020…
- …that makes it the most densely populated city in the world…
- …in fact, the Philippines are home to the three most densely populated cities in the world; they are Manila, Pateros and Caloocan, respectively.
- Filipinos enjoy a tropical marine climate with a northeast monsoon season from November to April and a southwest monsoon season from May to October.
- The Philippines is one of the worlds 17 ‘megadiverse’ countries!
- It also has one of the highest rates of animal species discovery, with 16 new species of mammal discovered in just the last 10 years!
El Nido, Philippines
- One of the species endemic to the Philippines is the Philippines Eagle, which with a typical length of 2ft 10in to 3ft 1in, is one of the largest eagles in the world!
- The Philippines Eagle also happens to be the national bird of the Philippines.
- The beautiful nation is also one of only 3 countries (including America and Indonesia) where the Skunk is an inhabitant, although in the Philippines it’s known as the Stink Badger!
- If you love a bit of shopping, you’ll be excited to hear that 3 of the world’s 10 largest shopping malls are in the Philippines!
- Geology fans amongst you will be fascinated by the Taal Volcano, which is a volcano within a lake, within a volcano – mind boggling!
- The official languages of Philippines are Filipino and English; there are also 8 other major dialects spoken here.
- Philippine Peso is the official currency here.
- Filipinos live for an average of 70.95 years (2017).
- Philippines grows rice, corn, coconuts and sugarcane; they also rear pigs and catch fish.
- Its industry consists of pharmaceuticals, chemicals, textiles and wood products.
- This country exports electronic equipment, machinery and transport equipment, coconut products and garments.
Do you know any fun or interesting facts about the Philippines that we’ve missed? Share them here in the comments section below!