Looking to increase your worldly knowledge and your chances of winning the next geography quiz? Take a look at these fun facts about Cameroon!
1. The country is famous for its wildlife.
Cameroon is a beautiful, wildlife-rich country in Central Africa.
2. What are some of Cameroon’s neighbors?
It is bordered by Chad to the northeast, the Central African Republic to the east, Equatorial Guinea, Gabon, and the Republic of the Congo to the south, and Nigeria to the west. It also has a coastline along the South Atlantic Ocean to the southwest.
3. Here are the compass details you’ll need.
Fancy trekking through the jungle or hiking up the mountains? Head for the coordinates of 3.8667° N, 11.5167° E to enjoy your own Cameroonian adventure!
4. It’s a mixed terrain, to say the least!
The terrain here is a mix of desert plains in the north, a rainforest in the south, and stunning mountains in the center.
5. It’s the same size as a European country.
The total land area of Cameroon is 183,569 square miles (475,442 square kilometers)…that’s roughly the same size as Spain.
6. However, it is much sparser.
Cameroon’s population was 25.22 million in 2018…that’s only half the population of Spain!
7. What are Cameroon citizens known as?
Ever wondered what residents here are known as? They’re called Cameroonians!
8. What’s the capital of Cameroon?
The capital is Yaoundé; it covers an area of 70 square miles (180 square kilometers) and had a population of 3,066,000 in 2015.
9. The weather here really does vary.
Cameroonians enjoy a climate that varies with the terrain, with the north experiencing a semiarid climate, moving to tropical along the coast.
10. You’ll find an active volcano out here, too!
Standing at an incredible 13,250 feet, Mount Cameroon is an active volcano and the highest mountain in sub-Saharan western and central Africa.
11. Seriously – you’ll want to go on safari!
Cameroon boasts many beautiful and interesting species of wild animals, including the Cross River Gorilla, Moustached Monkey, Black Rhinoceros, Forest Warbler, African Elephant, Cheetah, and many, many more!
12. Many languages are spoken across Cameroon.
The official languages of Cameroon are French and English, although there are around 24 other major local languages spoken here too.
13. Cameroon’s currency is easy to exchange into.
Like many African nations, the official currency of Cameroon is CFA Franc.
14. Sadly, the life expectancy here is fairly short.
15. Cameroon’s been independent since the 60s.
16. Cameroon’s industry is also varied and interesting.
Its industry consists of petroleum production and refining, textiles, food processing, and light consumer goods.
The main exports consist of lumber, crude oil, petroleum products, cacao, and aluminum.
FAQs about Cameroon
Is Cameroon safe to visit?
Unfortunately, many areas across Cameroon are considered unsafe - it struggles with natural disasters as well as crime rates. Take care!
Is Cameroon a rich or poor country?
Cameroon tends to be somewhere in the middle when it comes to wealth, at least compared to neighboring nations. It’s said to have a GDP of almost $45 billion, whereas Angola’s is over $66 billion.
What’s the main religion of Cameroon?
Most people in Cameroon identify as Christian, though there are also Muslim communities.
Do you know any fun facts about Cameroon? Share them in the comments below!