Everyone does it, but no one wants to talk about it. If someone tells you they do not fart, they are most likely lying. Here are 12 funny facts about flatulence.
- Some foods, such as eggs and meat (sulphur-rich), will make your farts smell worse. This is because these foods break down and creates a rotten gas known as hydrogen sulphide.
- Although hard to believe, a fart from a woman can smell worse than a man’s. Although both genders produce the same amount of gas, a study (yes, this has been researched) found that farts from women contains much more concentrations of hydrogen sulphide (which makes farts smell).
- A study conducted in 2014 found that hydrogen sulphide can help prevent mitochondrial damage.
- Fart jokes go way back in time. In fact, the oldest joke record in history was a fart joke. It dates back to 1900 BC and goes by “Something which has never occurred since time immemorial; a young woman did not fart in her husband’s lap”.
- Farts have clocked in at 3.05 meters per second, making them fast too.
- Attributed to beans, vegetarians are believed to fart more than non-vegetarians.
- It is not harmful to keep in flatulence because your body is going to get it out sooner or later.
- Eproctophilia is a fetish of farts. This is indeed real, and a 22-year-old man was described to be sexually aroused by farts in a 2013 paper.
- Christian Poincheval, a French man, claims that his fart pills can make your gas smell like chocolate, ginger or rose (depending on your preference) and retails for $21 each.
- Farting has been a profession before. A performer named Mr Methane called himself the world’s best professional farter.
- It is estimated that majority of people fart anywhere between 10 – 20 times a day.
- Farts are very flammable as it contains two important chemicals, hydrogen and methane. These chemicals make your farts literally explode when in contact with fire. Please do not try this at home!
Do you have any strange, interesting or fun facts about farts? Share them here in the comments section below!
Related 'The Human Body' Facts