Are you looking to impress your mates or simply to brush up on your worldly knowledge? Get started with these 17 fun facts about Malta!
1. Malta isn’t technically an island
2. Malta is small, but packed with culture
To explore the amazing cultural wonders and stunning coastline that Malta has to offer, head for the coordinates of 35.8833° N, 14.5000° E for your very own Maltese adventure!
3. Malta isn’t exactly mountainous
The terrain here is mostly low, rocky and flat, with many coastal cliffs.
4. Seriously – Malta is truly tiny!
5. Malta is densely populated despite its size
Malta’s population was 493,559 in 2019 – that’s more than 40 times the population of the Isle of Skye!
6. Malta’s citizens have a collective name
Residents here are known as Maltese.
7. Malta’s known for its beautiful cities
The capital is Valletta; it covers an area of 0.3 square miles (0.8 square kilometres) and had a population of 5,721 in 2013.
8. Malta is seriously hot and balmy!
The Maltese enjoy a Mediterranean climate with hot, dry summers and mild, rainy winters. On average, there are 300 days of sunshine in Malta and a temperature of 18.9°C – sounds perfect!
9. Malta has some seriously ancient artefacts
Malta is home to some of the oldest freestanding stone buildings in the world; built between 4000-5000BC, the Megalithic Monuments of Malta are one of 9 UNESCO World Heritage Sites in Malta and a renowned tourist attraction.
10. Malta’s road system used to need watering!
11. Malta has a curious link with a spinach-eating sailor!
Originally built for the 1980 film Popeye, Sweethaven Village (also known as Popeye’s Village) is now a tourist attraction and theme park!
12. Malta and the UK share more than a few traits
The official languages of Malta are Maltese and English. Unlike many other European countries, Maltese drive on the left hand side of the road, just like in the UK.
However, Malta gained independence from the UK in 1964.
13. Malta is a tourist hot-spot
Despite a population of only 493,559, Malta welcomes more than 1,000,000 tourists each year!
14. Malta is a pretty healthy country
The average life span here is a very healthy 82.45 years (2018).
15. Malta has a diverse food production industry
16. Malta also focuses on tech and seafaring
Elsewhere, Malta’s main industry focuses are tourism, electronics, ship building and ship repair.
17. Malta is a big exporter of transport essentials
Malta’s main exports include machinery, transport equipment and manufactures.
Do you know any interesting facts about Malta? Share them in the comments section below!
Are you fascinated with the Mediterranean islands? Check out these fun facts about Cyprus