Take a look at these interesting facts about sweet potatoes and their nutrition and learn what a super-food this yummy root is!
- They’re not the same thing as yams, okay?
- Sweet potatoes don’t need to go in the fridge.
- In fact, they last longer when left in a dry place at room temperature.
- Add healthy fats like almond butter to create an energising smoothie.
- They’re a rich source of beta-carotene.
- Sweet potatoes also love to give your body loads of Vitamin A to improve your vision.
- And that’s before we’ve even got to the iron that gives you energy!
- The calcium that strengthens your bones!
- Or the fibre that helps your digestive system function at the top of its game!
- Sweet potatoes are less likely to suffer toxic contamination than most other veggies.
- The jewel yam variety accounts for more than 75% of all sweet potatoes that are eaten.
- Kotobuki is so sweet many people compare it to sugary sweets and candy.
- But if that’s what you want, stay away from the Boniato variety as it’s almost savoury!
- The leaves are also delicious and taste much like spinach.
- Combining sweet potatoes with chickpeas gives your body the optimal chance of achieving digestive health.
- The most common sweet potato color is orange but other varieties include purple, red, pink, yellow and white.
Do you know any interesting or fun facts about sweet potatoes that we’ve missed? Or any good recipes? Share them here in the comments section below!
This page was last modified on September 25, 2020. Suggest an edit