Want to learn some interesting facts about the capital cities of the world? Take a read of these 18 interesting facts about Moscow!
- Moscow is the capital city of Russia.
- Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Moss-coe.
- The total land area of Moscow is 969 square miles (2,511 square kilometres)…
- …that’s roughly 1.5 times the size of Greater London.
- Moscow’s population was 12,166,000 (roughly the same as Norway and Switzerland combined!) in 2015…
- …that’s also 1.5 times the population of Greater London…
- …and gives it a population density of around 12,555 residents per square mile.
- Moscow is located 495 feet above sea level.
- Residents of Moscow are known as Moscovians, or Russians.
- Moscovians enjoy a hemiboreal climate with long, cold winters followed by warm summers and an average annual temperature of just 5.8°C – don’t forget your coat!
- Looking to fly yourself to Moscow? You’ll need the coordinates of 55.7558° N, 37.6173° E.
- Make sure you visit the Kremlin if you’re in Moscow; it’s the home of Russian politics and of course Vladimir Putin. This impressive complex was built in the late 1400’s and once housed Russian Tsars!
- Moscow might be a modern city, but it’s by no means new – it was first mentioned in 1147 when it was just a minor town!
- The official language of Moscow is Russian.
- Russian Ruble is the official currency here.
- According to Forbes, Moscow boasts 60 billionaires worth a combined net worth of $217.6 billion. The only cities with more billionaires are New York and Hong Kong with 70 and 68 respectively.
- Russia welcomed a whopping 32,421,000 tourists into the country in 2014, many of whom visited Moscow for its incredible mix of rich history and ultra-modern living.
- During the morning and evening rush hours you shouldn’t have to wait too long for a metro train – they can arrive every 90 seconds during peak times!
Do you know any interesting or fun facts about Moscow that we’ve missed? Share them with us in the comments section below!
Next post 18 Brilliant Facts about Brussels