Would you like to boost your knowledge of this vibrant, eastern country? Take a look at these 18 fun facts about Japan!
1. Japan is more than one island.
Japan is a culturally rich archipelago of nearly 7,000 islands in east Asia… that’s right, 7,000!
2. Not all of Japan is populated.
Despite containing such a vast number of islands, only 430 are inhabited.
3. Japan has plenty of connections.
4. Japan is actually pretty easy to find.
To watch authentic Geishas, sample some delicious food and travel this amazing country, head for the coordinates of 35.6833° N, 139.7667° E.
5. Japan is seriously hilly!
6. Japan is much bigger than Blighty.
The total land area of Japan is 145,902 square miles (377,887 square kilometers)…that’s around 1.5 times the size of the UK.
7. Japan has double the people, too!
Japan’s population was 126.8 million in 2020. That’s around twice the population of the UK!
8. Japan’s capital city is absolutely crammed with people!
The capital is Tokyo; it covers an area of 844 square miles (2,188 square kilometers) and had a population of 13.96 million in 2021 – that’s a lot of people!
9. Japan is rarely cold.
The Japanese enjoy a tropical climate in the south and a cool temperate climate in the north, with temperatures rarely dropping below 0°C throughout the country.
10. Japan has its own language.
The official language of Japan is… why, Japanese of course!
11. Be sure to exchange the right money before you visit Japan.
Japanese Yen is the official currency here.
12. Many people in Japan live longer than anyone else on Earth.
13. You’ll never miss a train in Japan.
The Japanese are fanatical about being punctual; Japanese trains have an average delay of only 18 seconds!
14. Japan LOVES pets.
15. Chopsticks are a common sight.
Apparently, around 24 billion pairs of chopsticks are used in Japan each year!
16. Japanese houses have clear rules!
Did you know raised floors in Japanese homes indicate when you should remove your shoes? Certainly something to remember!
17. Japan has a thriving trade portfolio.
Its industry consists of electronic equipment, machine tools, motor vehicles, steel and non ferrous metals.
Japan exports motor vehicles, office machinery, chemicals and electronic components.
18. Japan’s been working longer than any of us!
Be prepared to be impressed… Kongō Gumi Co., a construction company in Japan, was the longest running independent company in the world, having been founded in 578 and absorbed as a subsidiary in 2006! Wow.
FAQs about Japan
What is the tallest building in Japan?
The tallest building in Japan is the Tokyo Tower - it reaches a height of 1091 feet (333 meters).
Is Christianity prevalent in Japan?
No - Christianity is practiced, but was banned in Japan until 1873. Even today, many Christians remain covert.
Which religions are popular in Japan?
Most people in Japan either follow Shinto or Buddhism - accounting for a huge majority.
Do you know any fun facts about Japan? Share them in the comments below!
Are you fascinated with all things Japanese? Check out these superb facts about sushi…