1. Where is Turkmenistan?
Turkmenistan is an often overlooked but highly cultural country in Central Asia.
It is bordered by Kazakhstan to the northwest, Uzbekistan to the north and east, Afghanistan to the southeast and Iran to the south and southwest. It also has a coastline along the Caspian Sea to the west.
2. Grab that compass…
The coordinates for Turkmenistan are 37.9667° N, 58.3333°.
3. Here’s what you’ll need to know to make a call.
Want to call your family or friends in Turkmenistan? The international dialling code for this sandy country is +993.
4. The terrain is varied but beautiful.
The terrain here is mostly flat-to-rolling sand dunes and desert with low mountains to the south.
5. It’s generally a desert territory.
More than 80% of Turkmenistan’s land is covered by the Karakum Desert!
6. It’s bigger than you think!
The total land area of Turkmenistan is 188,456 square miles (488,100 square kilometers).
Turkmenistan’s population was 6.031 million in 2020.
7. What’s the capital of Turkmenistan?
The capital is Ashgabat which covers an area of 169.9 square miles (440 square kilometers) and has a population of 1.032 (2012).
8. Ashgabat has been rebuilt over the years.
9. The lifespan here is healthy.
The average life span here is 68.19 years (2019).
10. People in Turkmenistan don’t have to pay for energy!
11. Green tea is a popular tipple here.
12. Turkmenistan is famous for its carpeting.
13. It’s mostly dry out here.
The residents of Turkmenistan enjoy a subtropical desert climate with hot, dry summers and moderate, wet winters.
14. What do people speak in Turkmenistan?
The official language of Turkmenistan is Turkmen, although Russian and Uzbek are also often spoken.
15. Here’s what you can spend while you’re here.
To buy your green tea to keep you cool, bring some Turkmenistan Manat, the official currency of Turkmenistan.
16. Here are some facts about the industry in Turkmenistan.
Turkmenistan grows cotton and grain and rears livestock.
Its industry consists of natural gas, oil, petroleum products and textiles. Turkmenistan also exports oil, gas, textiles and cotton fibers.
FAQs about Turkmenistan
Is Turkmenistan safe to visit?
On the whole, yes - however, the laws tend to be a little stringent here, so always make sure you follow the guidelines.
What is the main religion of Turkmenistan?
Most people in Turkmenistan follow Islam, though a small percentage of people identify as non-religious.
Do you know any fun facts about Turkmenistan? Share them in the comments below!