Want to learn a little more about the countries of the world? Take a look at these 21 fun facts about Ethiopia!
- Ethiopia is a landlocked country in the ‘Horn of Africa’, located in Northeast Africa.
- It is bordered by Eritrea to the north and northeast, Djibouti and Somalia to the east, Kenya to the south and Sudan and South Sudan to the west.
- The coordinates for Ethiopia are 9.0167° N, 38.7500°
- The terrain here is mostly high plateau with a central mountain range divided by the Great Rift Valley.
- The total land area of Ethiopia is 437,600 square miles (1,133,380 square kilometers).
Flag of Ethiopia
- Ethiopia’s population was 115 million in 2020.
- The capital is Addis Ababa; it covers an area of 203 square miles (527 square kilometers) and according to the 2007 census had a population of 3,384,569.
- Addis Ababa also happens to be the highest city in Africa.
- Did you know, there have been archaeological finds in Ethiopia dating back 3 million years? Pretty amazing!
- The average life span here is 66.6 years (2019).
- Ethiopia is the only country in the world to use the Ethiopian Calendar, rather than the Gregorian Calendar; it has 13 months rather than 12, meaning Ethiopia only celebrated the millennium in 2007!
- The climate enjoyed by Ethiopians depends on their location in this vast country. Temperatures can vary wildly depending on how high you are above sea level, with anything from 5˚C to 45˚C!
- Whilst Amharic is the official language of Ethiopia, there are more than 80 other languages spoken here!
- Ethiopian Birr is the official currency here.
- It is thought that coffee was first discovered in Ethiopia… how grateful we are!
- The oldest known human fossil, known as ‘Lucy’, was found in Ethiopia, it is thought to be around 2.8 million years old!
- It is also home to numerous endemic African animals, plants and birds, making this an incredibly biodiverse country – a dream for naturalists!
- Many dishes in Ethiopia are either vegetarian or even vegan, proving you don’t always need meat or animal products to make a tasty dish!
- Ethiopia grows cereals, pulses, coffee and oilseed and rears cattle.
- Its industry consists of textiles, beverages, food processing and chemicals.
- Ethiopia also exports coffee, ‘qat’ (a chewable plant, also known as ‘khat’), leather products, gold, animals and oilseed.
Have you got any interesting or fun facts about Ethiopia? Share them in the comments below!
This page was last modified on November 8, 2021. Suggest an edit