Want to boost your knowledge of the Middle East? Why not start with a yaffle* of 20 interesting facts about Yemen
- Yemen is an Arab country in southwest Asia.
- It is bordered by Saudi Arabia to the north and Oman to the east. It also has a coastline along the Arabian Sea to the southeast, Gulf of Aden to the south and the Red Sea to the west.
- The international dialling code for Yemen is +967.
- The coordinates for Yemen are 15.0000° N, 48.0000°
- The terrain here is a glorious mix of coastal plains, rugged mountains and upland desert plains.
- The total land area of Yemen is 207,286 square miles (536,869 square kilometres).
- Yemen’s population was 28.5 million in 2018.
- Locals often chew ‘Qat’, a leaf that has stimulating effects similar to amphetamine. This is enjoyed socially, often starting after lunch with men and women in separate rooms.
- The capital is Sana’a; it covers an area of 2,144 square miles (5,552 square kilometres) and has a population of 3.937 million (2012).
- The average life span in Yemen is 66.09 years (2017).
- The desert climate experienced here brings mostly hot and humid weather, with the western mountains affected by seasonal monsoons, whilst the deserts are extraordinarily dry and hot.
- Architectural and history buffs alike will love the Old Walled City of Shibam. As a UNESCO World Heritage site, this 16th century city consists of many dried mud buildings, some of which are 11 stories high!
- The official language of Yemen is Arabic
- In Yemen, the average wedding feast lasts for an incredible 21 days! That’s a lot of yummy food and memorable celebrations!
- Interestingly, it is customary for Yemeni males to carry a ‘Jambiya’, or curved dagger, in public – the handle shows the social status of the individual whilst it is thought that the presence of such a weapon reduces the risk of brawls or fights.
- Apparently, when dining out in Yemen, it is not common to tip after your meal! Extra spending money, then!
- The official currency is called the Yemeni Rial.
- Yemen grows fruits, grains, coffee, vegetables and pulses, catches fish and produces dairy products – sounds a delicious place to be!
- Its industry consists of crude oil production, petroleum refining, cotton, textiles and leather goods.
- Yemen also exports crude oil, coffee, dried fish and salted fish.
*Bonus fact! Yaffle: An armload of sticks or fish (also, a Green Woodpecker!).
Do you know any interesting or fun facts about Yemen? Share them in the comments section below!