Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 15 interesting facts about Bangkok!
1. Thailand’s Capital Is Very Vibrant
Bangkok is the capital city of Thailand.
2. Bangkok’s Name Goes With A Bang!
Wondering how to say the name of this wonderful city? It’s pronounced Bang-cock.
3. Bangkok’s Twin City Size-Wise
The total land area of Bangkok is 606 square miles (1,569 square kilometres)…that’s the same size as Greater London!
4. However, Bangkok Leads When It Comes To Population
Bangkok’s population was 9,270,000 in 2015… that’s almost 1,000,000 more people than Greater London…
…and gives it a population density of around 15,297 residents per square mile.
5. Bangkok Is Pretty Close To Sea…Level
Bangkok is located 5 ft. above sea level.
6. Bangkok + ians = Bangkok’s Residents
Residents of Bangkok are known as Bangkokians.
7. The Citizens Of Bangkok Experience Three Seasons
Bangkokians enjoy a Tropical Savanna climate with three seasons (hot, rainy and cool) and an average annual temperature of 29.1°C. In fact, temperatures can soar as high as 40.2°C and rarely drop below 20°C!
8. Follow These Coordinates To Find Bangkok
It’s Looking to fly yourself to Bangkok? You’ll need the coordinates of 13.7563° N, 100.5018° E.
9. The Floating Market Gives The Ultimate Bangkok Experience
For an experience like no other, make sure you visit the floating market if you’re in Bangkok; as the name suggests, locals moor up their craft and sell fresh fruit, vegetables, coconut juice and local food on the riverbank!
10. Visiting Bangkok? Take A Quick Course In Thai
The official language of Bangkok is Thai.
11. Check The Exchange Rate For Thai Baht
Thai Baht is the official currency here.
12. Try Pronouncing Bangkok’s REAL Name
Although you probably know this incredible city by the name ‘Bangkok’, its actual name is, wait for it… Krungthepmahanakhon Amonrattanakosin Mahinthara Yutthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udom Ratchaniwet Mahasathan Amonphiman Awatansathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukamprasit… and breathe!
13. Bangkok’s Visitors Enjoy Its Vibrant Character
Thailand welcomed 24,810,000 tourists into the country in 2014, many of whom visited Bangkok for its vibrant nightlife, excellent value-for-money tailoring and unforgettable culture.
14. Bangkok Holds The Second Place On The Most Visited List
In fact, according to the MasterCard Global Destinations Cities Index 2015, Bangkok is the 2nd most visited city, after London!
15. Bangkok Is Gender Friendly
You may be presented with 3 different gender options when going to the washroom in Bangkok. Confused? Thailand has begun introducing separate toilets for those who identify as transgender as a step toward accepting all genders.
Do you know any fun facts about Bangkok? Share them in the comments below!