Grandiose, gorgeous and full of Eastern European history and wonder, Ukraine is one of the most dynamic and fascinating countries in Europe. Even if you’ve been before, these fun facts about Ukraine may well surprise you – let’s take a look!
1. It’s the Jupiter of Europe.
Ukraine is the largest country wholly within the EU, located in Eastern Europe.
2. There are plenty of land neighbors and even a coastline.
10. Its climate isn’t as chilly as you might think.
The Ukrainian residents of southern Crimea enjoy a Mediterranean climate, with the rest of the country experiencing a temperate, continental climate.
11. It’s a multi-lingual state.
The official language of Ukraine is, unsurprisingly, Ukrainian. However, Russian, Polish, Romanian and Hungarian are also spoken here.
12. We’re going underground…
Kiev is home to Arsenalaya Metro Station, the deepest metro station in the world at an astonishing 105 meters deep! Not suitable for those who suffer from claustrophobia, then!
13. McD’s is huge here.
The McDonald’s fast food restaurant in Kiev is amongst one of the busiest in the world and serves over 2 million customers each year!
14. And you thought it was just France who’s wild for wine!
Ukraine was once home to the Guinness World Record for the largest wine flute, which could hold an incredible 56.25 liters. Unfortunately this record was broken by Brazil in 2014 with an outstanding 100.5 liters!
15. Ukraine’s home to a serial record breaker.
Ukrainian Dmitriy Khalazhi has held an amazing 63 Guinness World Records for stunts such as laying on a bed of nails with 700kg plates on top of him which were then smashed with hammers, and being run over by tractors and lorries. Each to their own…
16. Head to the Ukrainian exchange!
When exchanging your holiday money, ask for Ukrainian Hryvnia, the official currency here.
17. Here’s a bit of information on what they grow and export from Ukraine.