Looking to increase your countries of the world knowledge and better your chances in the pub quiz? Why not start off with these 14 fun facts about Fiji!
1. Fiji’s more than one island – there are hundreds!
The Fiji Islands comprise 333 islands in the South Pacific – who knew?
2. Fiji is sparse compared to its island numbers.
The population of Fiji is 889,953 (2019), a small number considering the number of islands – it works out as an average of just over 2,500 residents per island!
3. Much of Fiji isn’t actually inhabited.
But of these islands, only approximately 110 are inhabited, so that explains #2!
4. Fiji offers an incredible series of landscapes.
The islands boast beaches, coral gardens and rainforests, so let’s get packing!
5. Want to connect to Fiji?
To call your friends in Fiji you’ll need to use the international dialing code +679.
6. The islands are bigger than you might think.
The total area of the islands amounts to 7,095 square miles (18,376 square kilometers).
7. Fiji’s closest neighbors are way down under.
Fiji sits in the Pacific Ocean, approximately 1,100 nautical miles northeast of New Zealand’s North Island. Fiji is part of Oceania – a collective name for the lands of the Pacific Ocean.
8. Fiji isn’t classified like other countries.
Remarkably, the islands are not part of a continent!
9. Fiji has a capital despite its many, many islands.
Its capital, Suva, is located on the largest island, Viti Levu, where the majority of the population resides.
10. Fiji’s weather is solidly tropical.
The people of Fiji have nothing to complain about weather-wise as the islands only experience a slight seasonal temperature variation, lucky them!
11. Time to head to the exchange!
Fiji’s currency is called the Fijian Dollar.
12. Fiji was once part of Great Britain.
In 1970, Fiji gained independence after 96 years as a British colony.
13. Fiji has a wide and varied trade.
Fiji exports sugar, garments, gold, coconut oil, molasses, timber, and fish – something nice there for everyone!
14. Growing land in Fiji is sparse.
FAQs about Fiji
What is the main religion of Fiji?
The main religion of Fiji is Christianity. There is also a large Muslim community here.
What is the national animal of Fiji?
The national animal of Fiji is called the Collared Lory. This is a particularly striking parrot with vivid and easily recognized colored feathers.
Is it safe to travel to Fiji?
Generally, yes - it’s safe for most tourists here, but as always, keep as safe as you can!
Do you know any fun facts about Fiji? Share them in the comments below!