Are you looking to impress your mates or win the next pub quiz? Brush up on your worldly knowledge, starting with these interesting facts about China!
1. China is Absolutely Crammed.
China has the largest population in the world; it’s home to a massive 1.398 billion (2019). That’s about 20% of the Earth’s population! Wow.
2. People Live Just About Everywhere in China.
Due to China’s geography, there’s a noticeable uneven population distribution; 94% live in the eastern third of the country; with its mild coastal climate, Shandong province has more than 90 million people, whereas Tibet, with its harsh mountain plateau climate, has just 3 million people.
Over 35 million people still live in caves – amazing!
3. China’s Capital is Pretty Full!
The capital of China is Beijing; it has an incredible population of 21.54 million (2018).
4. China is a Nation of Bachelors.
It’s been estimated that by 2020, China could have between 30-40 million men who cannot find wives.
5. China is a Concrete Nation.
Due to rapid westernisation and modernisation, China used more cement in 3 years (2011 to 2013) than the U.S. used in the entire 20th Century!
6. China is Serious About Big Buildings.
China builds a new skyscraper every five days. No wonder they use so much concrete – crazy!
7. China Itself is Massive.
It has an area of 3.7 million square miles (9.6 million square km) and occupies most of East Asia.
It’s the second largest country in the world, after Russia.
8. A Huge Portion of China Lives in Poverty.
100 million people in China live on less than $1 per day!
9. China Has a Very Specific Currency.
The currency here is called the Renminbi – which literally translates to People’s Currency and is abbreviated to RMB. The most widespread international usage is yuan, which is abbreviated to CNY.
10. China Pretty Much Invented Money as We Know It.
The world’s first paper money was created in China 1,400 years ago – who knew?!
11. China is a Major Polluter.
China has four of the world’s ten most polluted cities! This air pollution is a result of rapid industrial development.
12. China Relies on Fossil Fuels.
This country is the largest producer and consumer of coal. Good news though, because it’s turning away from coal toward clean hydroelectric resources, such as the Three Gorges Dam!
13. China is in the Space Race.
In 2003 China became only the third nation (after Russia and the U.S.) to launch a manned spaceflight. The country launched a lunar orbiter in 2007.
14. China’s Trading Profile is Really Diverse.
China has a varied industry consisting of iron, steel, coal, machine building, armaments, textiles and apparel, petroleum and cement.
Agriculturally it produces rice, wheat, potatoes, sorghum, pork and fish.
It exports all sorts from machinery and equipment to textiles and clothing, footwear, toys, sporting goods and mineral fuels.
15. China is THE Economic Superpower.
China overtook the USA as the world’s largest economy in 2014!
16. China is Serious About Censorship.
Facebook, Twitter and Google are all blocked in mainland China under the policy of internet censorship! Imagine that!
17. China’s Time Zones are Fairly Odd.
Oddly, the sunrise in China can be as late as 10am because the country joined its five time zones into a single one – how strange!
18. China Loves a Bat and Ball!
Table tennis is China’s national sport.
19. China Has the Monopoly on Socks!
We bet you didn’t know that 1 in every 3 socks you own were made in the district of Datang in Zhuji? This district is now known as ‘Sock City’!
20. Gaming is Curbed in China.
Playstations are illegal in China… we wonder why?
21. China’s Chopstick Supply is Booming.
A huge 45 billion chopsticks are used here every year! That’s a lot of chopsticks!
22. China’s Censorship Systems Know No Bounds.
Ironically, the word ‘censorship’ is censored in China!
23. The Internet is an Addiction in China.
China has treatment camps for internet addicts.
24. A Chinese Zoo Once Tried to Pull a Fast One…
In 2013 a zoo in China angered visitors by trying to pass off a Tibetan Mastiff dog as a lion! Oh dear – let’s be honest, it was never going to work, was it?
25. We Have China to Thank for a Sweet Treat.
Ice cream was invented in China around 2000BC. The first ice cream was soft milk and rice mixture packed in the snow. YUM.
26. We Also Have China to Thank for Football… Supposedly!
27. China is Careful with Symbology.
Superstition and numerology are prevalent in Chinese culture. For example, a 13th floor is often absent from hotels and commercial buildings whilst car number plates and phone numbers often lack the number four. Wonder if they walk under ladders?
Red is thought to be a lucky color, and as such, Chinese woman traditionally marry in it. White, on the other hand, symbolises death.
28. China Has Broken Many Human Body Records!
Until her death in December 2012, 7ft 8in Yao Defen was the tallest woman in the world!
29. China Once Subscribed to Painful Rituals.
Foot binding (also known as ‘Lotus feet’), is the custom of applying painfully tight binding to the feet of young girls to prevent further growth. It came about around the 10th Century but was banned in the early twentieth century. Yikes.
30. You Can Easily Call People in China.
To call your friends or family in China you’ll need to dial the international dialling code +86.
31. The Great Wall of China Blocks Incoming and Outgoing Traffic.
Built to protect China from its enemies and invaders, The Great Wall of China has also prevented the Chinese people from leaving! It’s now a World Heritage site.
Do you know any fun facts about China? Share them in the comments below!