Were you born in this beautiful country or planning a trip of a lifetime here? Take a look at these fun facts about New Caledonia to test your local knowledge!
1. Here’s where you’ll find New Caledonia.
New Caledonia is a French archipelago in the South Pacific Ocean.
2. Grab the co-ordinates!
The stunning sandy beaches and crystal clear waters of New Caledonia are pretty amazing; to find yourself here, follow the co-ordinates 21.2500° S, 165.3000° E for your very own New Caledonian adventure!
3. There are beaches and mountains galore.
The terrain here is dominated by stunning coastal plains with mountains further inland.
4. It’s a big enough island on its own…
The total land area of New Caledonia is 7,172 square miles (18,575 square kilometers)…that’s slightly smaller than Wales.
5. But the population is fairly sparse!
New Caledonia’s population was 271,960 in 2020…that’s less than 1/10th of the Welsh population!
6. What’s the capital of New Caledonia?
The capital is Nouméa; it covers an area of 17.6 square miles (45.7 square kilometers) and had a population of 181,000 in 2014.
7. It’s either hot or rainy here – pick one!
8. It’s a birdwatcher’s paradise.
There are 22 species of bird endemic to New Caledonia, including the New Caledonian Crow which is known for making its own tools!
9. Its reef is amazing.
10. Time to brush up on your French!
The official language of New Caledonia is French, although there are 33 local dialects also spoken here!
11. New Caledonia has a very specific currency.
12. People live long and happily here.
The average life span of New Caledonians is 77.63 years (2019).
13. What does New Caledonia produce?
Its industry consists of tourism, nickel mining and smelting.
New Caledonia exports ferro-nickels, nickel ore and fish.
FAQs about New Caledonia
Do you know any fun facts about New Caledonia? Share them in the comments below!