Want to discover some interesting facts about London Heathrow Airport? Here’s 11 brilliant facts to learn:
1. London Heathrow Airport’s Humble Beginnings
2. London Heathrow Airport Employs More People Than You Can Imagine
Based in West London, near Hounslow, Heathrow airport employs a staggering 76,000 people – that’s the same population as Bracknell.
3. London Heathrow Airport Serves A Staggering Number Of Passengers
In 2018 Heathrow Airport served over 80.1 million passengers – that’s an average of 219,458 passengers every day!
4. In Fact, The Number Of Flights Is Pretty Impressive Too
1,400 flights take off and land at Heathrow every day – one flight every 45 seconds!
5. Want To Travel? Choose From the Most Popular Heathrow Destinations
The most popular destinations to fly to are New York (JFK), Dubai (DBX), Dublin (DUB), Amsterdam (AMS) and Hong Kong (HKG).
6. The Busiest Airport In The World… For Quite Some Time
Until recently, London Heathrow was the busiest airport in the world (by passenger traffic). In 2019 it ranked at #7.
7. Heathrow’s Unique Code
Heathrow’s airport code is LHR.
8. London Heathrow Airport Started Off Small
Before Heathrow had 5 numbered terminals, ‘Europa’ and ‘Oceanic’ were its 2 main terminals.
9. VIP’s LOVE Terminal Number Six
There’s one more ‘secret’ terminal – terminal six. It’s a very small terminal exclusively used for VIPs and includes the Windsor Suite which is for members of the Royal family, visiting dignitaries, and heads of state, and some celebrities. It costs £1,500 per person per visit to use.
10. The Northern Runway Vs. The Southern One
Heathrow’s Northern runway is longer than the Southern, running a length of 2.425 miles.
The Southern runway is 2.273 miles – that’s 0.152 miles shorter.
11. A Supersonic Journey From Heathrow To JFK
Concorde, the world famous supersonic aircraft, flew daily from London Heathrow to New York (JFK) – a journey that took just 3 hours 30 minutes.
Do you know any interesting or fun facts about London Heathrow? Share them in the comments below!
Are you fascinated with all things aviation? Check out these brilliant facts about British Airways…