Like to know a little more about the capital cities of the world? Take a look at these 15 interesting facts about Tegucigalpa!
- Tegucigalpa is the capital city of Honduras.
- Wondering how to say the name of this fascinating city? It’s pronounced Te-goo-see-gahl-pah.
- The total land area of Tegucigalpa is 78 square miles (202 square kilometres)…
- …that’s almost twice the size of Liverpool.
- Tegucigalpa’s population was 1,123,000 in 2015…
- …that’s roughly 2.5 times the population of Liverpool…
- …and gives it a population density of around 14,397 residents per square mile.
- Tegucigalpa is located 3,250 ft above sea level.
- Residents of Tegucigalpa are known as Hondurans.
- Hondurans living in Tegucigalpa enjoy a tropical climate with little temperature variation and an average annual temperature of 21.7°C – perfect!
- Looking to fly yourself to Tegucigalpa? You’ll need the coordinates of 14.1000° N, 87.2167° W.
- Make sure you visit La Tigra National Park if you’re in Tegucigalpa; it’s a ‘cloud forest’ (a forest which is usually cloaked in cloud cover) where you can see a wide range of beautiful plants, trees, animals and geographical features!
- The official language of Tegucigalpa is Spanish.
- Honduran Lempira is the official currency here.
- Honduras welcomed 863,000 tourists into the country in 2013, many of whom visited Tegucigalpa for its delicious food, wonderful architecture and glorious climate.
Know any fun facts about Tegucigalpa we’ve not mentioned? Let us know in the comments section below!
Previous post 16 Sassy Facts about San Juan