Surely Maryland is the one place in the world that you know everything about, right? This list of interesting facts about Maryland might just perk you up and make you think again about that one…
- The state of Maryland is located on the coast of the Atlantic Ocean, beneath Pennsylvania and west of Delaware.
- The University of Maryland was the setting for the USA’s first dental school.
- It has the oldest state capital in America, first opening its doors in 1772.
Maryland State Flag
- When it passed worker’s compensation laws in 1902 it became the first state to do so.
- The town of Brookeville became the capital of the whole country for 1 day.
- This happened because President Madison sought refuge there when the British burned down DC.
- The checkerspot butterfly has the honour of being the official state insect.
- 1805 saw the first fridge invented in Baltimore, Maryland.
- The U.S. drama “The Wire” is set is Baltimore.
- It holds the distinction of being regarded by fans as one of the greatest shows ever made whilst at the same time never winning a single award from the critics.
Baltimore Harbour, Maryland, USA
- The USS Constellation is kept in Baltimore Harbour and was used in the Civil War era.
- It’s the 19th most populous state at time of writing (Feb ’20).
- As of 2017 there were 48 people in the state aged 114 or older!
- It is the only state whose flag has British origins.
- The Maryland Gazette has been continually published since 1729, make it the oldest such paper in the U.S.
- The Backbone Mountain is the highest point in the state.
Do you know any interesting facts about Maryland that we’ve missed? Share them here in the comments section below!
This page was last modified on December 14, 2020. Suggest an edit