The world has over 10,000,000 different species of animal, which is more than any of us could ever hope to see in a lifetime.
But don’t worry, we’ve found 17 of the key facts about animals you need to know so that you can become a true expert without even leaving the house!
- The slow loris is the only primate with poison and its bite will kill a human in hours.
- Pigeons can count. No really, they can count!
- Zebras have evolved to have stripes so they don’t get bothered by horse flies.
- Chimps will have a taste of fermented palm tree sap and get a little merry whilst they do it!
- Sea otters use rocks to break open the shells of their prey so they can chow down.
- The koala is potentially the world’s laziest animal and sleeps for up to 22 hours a day.
- Frogs in Canada and Alaska freeze themselves solid throughout the winter and then are good to go again when the summer returns.
- Male horses have up to 6 more teeth than their female friends and originally used them for fighting.
- Octopus tentacles are actually known by scientists as arms, and they can taste using them.
- If that wasn’t scary enough, they can also swim at an incredible 25 mph!
- Bottlenose dolphins give one another names by developing specific whistles for individual dolphins.
- Reindeer eyes go from gold in the summer to blue in the winter so they can make better use of the minimal light levels.
- A giraffe tongue is 20 inches long and pitch black.
- They also don’t have any vocal cords!
- Alligators will kill just about anything, except manatees. In fact, manatees will bump into alligators to tell them to let them swim first and the gators will hold back and let them lead the way!
- Sloths take 30 days to digest a leaf and go to the toilet no more than once a week.
- A baby elephant will suck its trunk to self soothe, just like a baby sucks its thumb.
Do you know any interesting or fun facts about animals that we’ve missed? Share them here in the comments section below!